Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Louisville, KY (Day Two)

I woke early and was on the road by 6am. I headed west on 64 toward Louisville. 64 West goes right through the mountains, so the car is constantly either working hard to climb or coasting down some fairly large grades. I'm pretty impressed with how well my little civic did - and really glad that I bought new tires! For the first hour, the ride was unreal - absolutely breathtaking views. It was one of those cool, cloudy, misty mornings - and the clouds hung down low over the tops of the mountains. I'd come into a patch of fog and realize I was driving through a cloud. As the day grew lighter, there would be these brief patches of bright sunlight where everything was really vivid; the leaves on the trees, the colors. And you’d see where suddenly they’d end and it would become dark and foggy right away. Anyway, this literally stunned me for the first hour of the drive.

The second hour was a bit tougher. Suddenly I found myself driving through not just one but several torrential downpours; the kind where you can’t see more than a few feet in front of you and you have your wipers on full blast but they only provide these brief glimpses of visibility before the windshield becomes covered again in what looks like pouring water. Anyway, that’s nerve wrecking when you’re on the NJ turnpike – but when you are driving down a steep mountain grade, it is flat out terrifying. I hope that’s about as interesting as the driving gets over the next few weeks.

I finally made it to Louisville in the early afternoon and checked into the hotel. After getting settled in I looked around downtown. My hotel isn't far from Louisville Slugger Field, where the Reds AAA team plays. It's a really nice stadium, situated a block from the Ohio River. I took a walk down by the river itself, and got some nice shots of the city from there. Anyway - here are a few of the pics:

Louisville Slugger Field:












Views of the Ohio River and Downtown:


1 comment:

patti aka 5gals said...

The girls and I are checking up on you every day! Looks like the trip is going well!