Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Northern California - The Redwoods (Day 15)

Exhausted from my days in San Francisco, I was up and out a little later than usual. After leaving the hotel, I drove through the streets of San Francisco, all the way up and all the way back down the other side of one of those famously steep grades lined on either side with beautiful old Victorian homes. The streets weren't crowded so I was afforded the opportunity to drive slowly and drink it all in one last time. I then drove over the Golden Gate bridge, and out of San Francisco. I was a little sorry to leave - such a beautiful city. I hope to go back someday and spend a little more time there.

The drive north of San Francisco was really beautiful, once I got out of the suburbs and the "traffic" (nothing like NY!). The scenery is characterized by more low rolling hills like those outside of Paso Robles. I stopped for breakfast along the way in Santa Rosa at a little place called Dierk's Parkside Cafe. If you ever find yourself out this way, make sure you stop in here. The coffee is excellent, and I let the very friendly waitress convince me to try Grandma Dierk's Pull-Aparts; like doughnuts, only much better. After my excellent breakfast, I got back on the road and headed for the redwoods. I won't lie - "This Land is Your Land" was playing over and over in my head.

The redwoods are just as grand and majestic and awe-inspiring and breathtaking as anyone would imagine them to be. These trees have been here forever. As the first trees began to appear at the side of the road, I found that once again nature had been able to strike me dumb with wonder. I would be hard-pressed to choose which of my scenic drives on this journey was the most beautiful; but I do know that this drive through the redwoods would have a good shot at the top spot. I did a very silly touristy thing; I stopped at the drive-thru tree and paid $5 to drive through it. Ridiculous, but I think when you're here, you kind of have to. I then called my brother Andy who used the net to help me with navigation. He directed me off the main highway 101 into an old highway that parallels it called Avenue of the Giants. Although 101 is scenic, the Avenue of the Giants has it well beat, and there are plenty of places to pull off the road and walk around the forest a bit. When I first exited my car, what struck me was the silence - these are woods and so I expected to hear the sounds of wildlife; birds, insects - whatever. But instead there is this incredible stillness; as though the world itself is paying silent homage to the majesty of these trees. It's amazing. I stopped several times along the road to take pictures and just wander. The forest actually looks just like the forest in Return of the Jedi (yes, I am a nerd), in fact I've heard they filmed it here. I kind of got a kick out of that! I met a few tourists here and there, one of whom was kind enough to take the picture of me on the left, actually standing inside the trunk of the tree. Amazingly enough, the circumfrence of the trunk of this one wasn't the largest I'd seen. I understand that some of the really big ones have been here for over a thousand years. The redwood forest was just amazing; I'm so grateful to have had the chance to spend some time there.

No comments: