Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Skyline Drive and Lexington VA (Day One)

So - yesterday was kind of a crazy day! Unfortunately I didn't have internet access last night, so I wrote this yesterday and now I'm posting it from Kentucky.

I was anxious about leaving, so I barely slept Sunday night. I finally gave up on sleep and got up at 3:30am. I was on the road by 4, and there was, of course, no traffic, so getting out of NY was no problem.

I got to Skyline Drive by around 10:15am; I took the picture on the right almost immediately after entering. Three deer walked out onto the road, crossed it, then started grazing on the other side. I pulled up to take this picture, and I was sure they'd run off - but instead this one actually turned and posed for a pic. AMAZING.

Skyline Drive itself is beautiful. I took about a million pictures like the one on the left, although they really don't do it justice. I stayed on the drive for about two hours and then exited to head for my hotel in Lexington. Honestly, I was exhausted.

I did briefly drive into downtown Lexington - wasn't sure what I'd find there other than the Virginia Military Institute. VMI is impressive by the way - it looks like a fortress! Further into town, I passed the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery and decided to park and take a walk around. I'm glad I did, because I got to see Stonewall Jackson's memorial, as well as his original gravesite. Pictures of both are below. After I left the cemetery, I walked around Lexington for a bit and did a little browsing, it's a beautiful town - but I was exhausted so I didn't stay too long. Anyway, all in all it was a good first day - I'm just looking forward to seeing what's next!!




2 comments:

patti aka 5gals said...

I thought I felt your presence in my state!

Anonymous said...

The deer are cool aren't they? But beware of ticks... i hear rocky mountain spotted fever is a dilly of a disease...