Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Scenic Coastal Oregon to Newport (Day 16)

This was to be my last day on the west coast, and so I was a little upset when I walked outside the hotel in the morning to discover that the weather was dismal and rainy. I tried to be optimistic, but the thought of driving over more mountains in miserable weather was disheartening. The first hour or so of the drive actually wasn't bad - there was again this awesome, Stephen King/Alfred Hitchcock like mist that hung deep over the redwoods and rolled over the ocean. Leaving Northern California was like combining my drive through the redwoods with my drive up the coast to San Francisco just a few days ago - steep, jagged cliffs and rocks one minute, huge imposing trees the next. Nature sure does put on a show on the West Coast, folks! Also, apparently, this area is where there are the largest Elk herds anywhere in the world. There is a radio station posted on the highway that tourists are urged to listen to for information. I tuned into it, and it made me terribly excited to see Elk. No herds, but I was lucky enough to see one grazing by the side of the road (right).

As wonderful as Northern California was, the sights became downright incredible within minutes of crossing over the border into Oregon. I have trouble believing that the picture on the left was taken within an hour of the first pic I posted. It was incredible. Literally seconds after passing the "Welcome to Oregon" sign, I saw the blue skies begin to peek their way through the clouds in the distance, and shortly thereafter I was treated to some of the most majestic, most beautiful, most unabashedly stunning coastline I have ever seen. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the side of the road several times to take pictures, but frankly if I had stopped at every phenomenal view, it would have taken me several days to drive the 300 miles to Newport. As it was, the drive to Newport was very long - it took nearly 7 hours, mainly because scenic route 101 passes through so many towns. The drive is so beautiful that the length of it hardly matters; if anyone is actually reading this, I hope that you get the opportunity to drive up the west coast one day. I know I won't soon forget its beauty.
When I arrived in Newport, I went straight to my hotel. I was pretty excited because I had booked a room with an ocean view, and all I can say is I was NOT disappointed. I found that my room was situated on the top floor of the hotel, with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The hotel is literally steps from the beach; walk outside and you're there. Shortly after checking in, I put on my sweatshirt (Newport is chilly in the summer) and went for a long walk on the beach. The water was really cold but it felt good, and the walk itself was incredible - dotted with the occasional large rock, and the Laquina Bay Lighthouse visible in the distance. I took the picture on the left while standing on the beach, with my feet cold and wet from the ocean.
After enjoying the beach I went into the town of Newport to do a little souvenir hunting, and picked up another magnet for my collection. (yes, Laura - it WAS your idea!) Newport is a cute little town; the shops are set along the piers on the bay. Tourists were milling around eating various sweets and booking deep-sea fishing tours. I enjoyed my stroll but longed to get back to my room to watch the ocean. For once, the "sightseeing" would be done from inside my room!
I ordered room service and then walked out to my terrace, enjoying the cool ocean air as I watched the sun disappear in the distance. I realized that this would be the last time, at least for a while, that I would see the Pacific Ocean, and so I spent a good long time just drinking it in. Shivering, I noticed someone had lit a bonfire on the beach, and remembering that I had a fireplace in my room I went inside to enjoy the fire and the view. The journey back east is next - there's still plenty more of America to see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peg, look for one eyed willie! Those rocks look like the scene from Goonies!!!

Anonymous said...

It's like reading a travel brochure. Close your eyes and you are there. Thanks!