Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nashville and Memphis (Day 3)

I left Louisville early, and after more treacherous driving through insanely heavy rain (which is making me begin to wonder if God isn't trying to tell me something!), I safely passed out of Kentucky and into Tennessee, gaining an hour in the process. It is kind of cool passing a sign on the highway informing travelers that they are passing into an entirely different time zone. No lie, even just the one hour difference makes me feel so much further from home!!

The sun came out when I got to Nashville. I went right to the Opry house, although because I didn't plan for the time difference I got there a bit before it opened. The Opry house was amazing - I actually got chills, thinking about all the history of the place. I stood outside where Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones did in that scene from Coal Miner's Daughter, which I figured Kitty and Jeannie would appreciate especially. Even better - I stood on the very stage where Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams, and hundreds of others performed.


Don't know how clearly you can see this, but this is the view of the stage at the Opry house. I have another pic of me standing up there, behind the mike, but I think I'll keep that one to myself. Seriously, after I left I thought to myself that my visit to the Opry really felt like the highlight of the trip so far - although I had yet to see Memphis!

Although it was sunny for the full two hours I spent in Nashville, the minute I got into my car to drive away it began to rain heavily again (really, God? really?). It seemed to rain on and off for the rest of the drive to Memphis. I checked into the hotel, which is absolutely beautiful by the way, and for about five minutes contemplated just staying in for the evening because of the weather. Thank God I didn't decide to to that; instead, I took a walk over to Beale Street - what a cool place! After wandering around a bit, I decided to stop in at a place called Silky O'Sullivans, which is some kind of cross between a southern blues bar and an Irish Pub. Here, I had some really good Guinness, met some really cool people, and listened to a really good blues band play some music a la BB King (the band is pictured, right). It ended up being a really great night - I'm looking forward to seeing more of Memphis tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must be so glad that you didn't stay inside that night in Memphis. I miss you so much. Love ya!