Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Pacific Ocean/Paso Robles (Day 12)

Well, I made it!! I left from Palm Springs, which in the early morning was a much more reasonable 90 degrees. It took about three hours of driving through the LA metro area before reaching the coast. I never actually saw LA - actually, I never saw much of anything over that drive, as there was heavy, grayish smog shrouding everything, which is such a shame. Anyway, I first saw the Pacific on my GPS, as I was approaching Ventura, CA. I could see on the screen that it was there, just to the west of me, but it seemed like ages before I actually got my first glimpse. I won't lie though - as soon as I saw it my heart leaped. I had reached the other side of the country!! I took a pic through the car window on the freeway - above, left, is my first look at the Pacific.

I drove up the coast for a short while before pulling off the freeway to stop in Santa Barbara. I parked the car, went to the beach, took off my shoes and put my feet in the ocean. The air was cool but the water warm; I stayed there for a bit just drinking it all in. While there I met an older couple who were vacationing from Ireland and asked them to take a picture of me standing there on the beach (he took three, but I won't post them here - instead, on the right is one of the pics I took while standing on the beach.) I chatted with these two for a while, and then I went on my way, lighthearted. The Pacific Ocean - wow.

The rest of the morning and early afternoon was spent driving further up the coast to Paso Robles, where I stayed for the night. Paso Robles is a pretty town in the coastal mountains. The hotel I stayed in was a lovely historic old place, and rumored to be haunted which I thought was pretty cool. I spent the rest of the day relaxing, swimming, eating, drinking and enjoying the fact that I had finally made it out here. California - woo hoo!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet my wife $20 that you would have gotten into an accidend before you reached the Pacific. I just went double or nothing with her for your return.

Anonymous said...

Just Kidding! Congrats! We are all jealous of you! Ooh, the Mets lost last night, ending their 10 game streak. They are a game back.

Anonymous said...

Peg, Did you see any ghosts? I am sure you must have heard something during the night. Can't believe that you are 3000 miles away. Lucky, lucky you. Be safe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Peggy, great you touched the Pacific... make sure you look for the "green flash" over the pacific at sunset. If you don't know what that is, be sure to ask a local. It is a great sight!

Anonymous said...

Peg, make sure you make your way to Temecula Wineries.. on the way north, a bit out of the way, but I swear you'd think you were in Italy... have a vino for me!